Hummus is one of the most favorite dishes in Middle East and now all around the world! You can enjoy this delicious dish with many variations, depending on your creativity and pantry stocks. So here is a basic recipe and some variations you can make.
- 1 / 2 cup Tahini
- 1.5 cup Boiled Chickpeas
- 2 Clove Garlic (Minced)
- 2 – 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 / 2 cup Water (Less or more according to the consistency you like)
- 1 Lemon Juice
- 1 / 2 tbsp Cumin
- 2 tbsp Pine Nuts
- Salt and Black Pepper ( To taste)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- optional: 2 tbsp
- 2 tbsp Dried Mint (Finely Chopped)
- 1 / 2 tbsp Red Pepper
- Blend them all together in a food processor or with a hand blender and check consistency and spice. Add more water or spice accordingly
- Place pine nuts on a small non-stick pan and toast for about 5 minutes until they are nicely colored. Add on top of your hummus
- In a small pan, put olive oil and mint and red pepper flakes, cook on medium heat for 2 minutes or so, just to get the aroma boost. Drizzle it over your hummus
- You can add the following for colorful and different hummus dishes
- 3-4 Grilled red peppers (you can make yourself or find them in jars in the supermarkets)
- 4-5 Dried tomatoes
- Pumpkins: Bake a slice of pumpkin in the oven, with only a drizzle of olive oil and salt for about 50 minutes at 180 degrees celsius. Mash with a fork (it should be around 1 cup). Mix pumpkin puree, 1/2 cup of yogurt to hummus! Delicious!
- Beetroots: Add 1 boiled or oven baked mashed beetroot to your hummus
Check out my other dips and homemade flat-bread chips recipe here. Enjoy your hummus with falafel or any other main dishes, BBQs or simply on a slice of bread!